Bloomsbury Summer School
Fascinated by ancient civilisations?
We offer anyone with any level of knowledge, inspiring short courses on ancient Egypt and other areas of the ancient world.
2021 Course fees and booking options
Per person per course:
- 1-day course: Special offer! £30 online
- 3-day course: £210 in person / £165 online
- 4-day course: £220 online
- 5-day course: £350 in person / £270 online
A non-returnable fee of £100 is included in the cost of each 3-, 4- or 5-day course; the 1-day course fee is non-returnable (but see cancellation policy below).
Fees are payable by cheque (in sterling), PayPal via our website, or our preferred method of bank transfer. BSS vouchers can be used only when paying by cheque or bank transfer.
Booking and payment options
- Pay for summer school courses online – the full fee for each course is payable immediately, of which £100 is a non-returnable booking fee. Online payments to Bloomsbury Summer School are securely processed by PayPal. You do not need a PayPal account to pay your course fees online, choose between Credit / Debit Card or PayPal when you're ready to make your payment. PayPal's shopping cart uses web cookies and requires the acceptance of terms and conditions. To book more than one course please select 'continue shopping' in the shopping cart before checking out.
- Download a booking form – complete and email it to Dr Kathryn Piquette at: email@example.com. Then send a non-returnable booking fee of £100 for each course booked. Courses can be paid for by bank transfer:
- UK payments
Sort Code: 56-00-31
Account no.: 08336458
- International payments
BIC: NWBK GB 2L
IBAN: GB49 NWBK 5600 3108 3364 58
National Westminster Bank plc
Tottenham Court Road Branch
45 Tottenham Court Road
London W1T 2EA
If you must pay by cheque, send it with copy of booking form to:
Dr Kathryn E. Piquette
Bloomsbury Summer School
c/o The Ancient Egypt Foundation
25 Red Lion Square
London WC1R 4RL
Cancellations and refunds
In the event of enrolee cancellation* of a course booking, or withdrawal without notice, a scale of charges will apply, so you might like to take out suitable insurance cover. Refunds will be given in accordance with the following scale, LESS the £100 booking fee (no refund for 1-day courses*):
- Notice of 6 weeks or more: 100%
- Notice of between 6 weeks and 3 weeks: 50%
- Notice of less than 3 weeks and no-shows: no refund
- If a course offered in-person is forced to run online due to changes in UCL's COVID policy, and participants do not want to take the course online, vouchers will be issued for the amount paid. Otherwise our refund policy above applies.
* Cancellation by BSS (e.g. due to COVID-19): 100%
BSS Bursary Scheme
Bloomsbury Summer School runs a modest bursary scheme, offering unfilled places on our spring and summer courses to those who would find it challenging to pay our course fees. We are usually able to offer a small number of applicants places for £90 / £60 less than the full fee for 5-day courses (normally £350 in person / £270 online), and £40 less than the full fee for 4-day courses (normally £220 online), and £40 / £20 less than the full fee for 3-day courses (normally £210 in person / £165 online).
Eligible students who wish to join the scheme are welcome to do so. You need only email or send in a brief statement of your wishes, putting your chosen courses in order of preference. You may apply for as many courses as you like. All you need do after you have sent in an application is try to keep your diary clear of important engagements for the relevant week(s). The process of awarding bursary places usually begins at the end of February for spring courses and end of May for summer courses.There is of course no guarantee that a bursary place on a given course will arise at all, and even when bursary places do become available, they sometimes do so rather late in the day, as a consequence of last-minute student cancellation.